ChildFund New Zealand believes it has a significant role to play in bringing change to children and families in the neighbouring Pacific. To date, ChildFund’s work in the Pacific has been mainly focussed on Papua New Guinea, but this is about to change. ChildFund is in the process of opening an office in Kiribati, where it will soon launch a new ‘model’ community development project, working alongside Councils. Watch this space too, for more on our plans for Vanuatu, Fiji and Solomon Islands where we’ve plans underway to strengthen systems to protect children from harm.
· 20% of the Pacific population are estimated to live in serious hardship, unable to meet their basic food and non-food needs.
· Traditional coping mechanisms fail to provide enough protection for children, families and communities.
· Population growth, urbanisation and the growing youth population are huge problems in the Pacific, especially when there is no land for subsistence farming.
What Do Children Want?
Children want a community where they have:
· A safe home and community.
· Better nutrition.
· Clean, drinkable water.
· Safe and clean toilet facilities.
· Quality pre-school education for children.
· Work for youth.
· An income for families.