ChildFund works in Batticaloa in eastern Sri Lanka, an area that is still recovering from the 25-year-long civil war which ended as recently as 2009. ChildFund provides women with training and small loans to generate income for their families, and educates parents about good nutrition and health. We work with schools to raise the level of teaching in the classroom so that students are more engaged and get better grades. And when flooding hits this lagoon-based community, we pitch in to help people get back to their everyday lives and livelihoods.
Sri Lanka Facts
· Over 80% of community members rely on crops, livestock and fishing to provide income.
· Only 25% of the 8,700 families have access to adequate clean water.
· Nearly 15% of primary and secondary school students lack basic literacy and numeracy skills.
· Over 27% of children under five years are underweight.
· The rate of teen pregnancy is the second highest in the country.
What Do Children Want?
Children want a community where they have:
· income security
· food security
· access to Early Childhood education and development
· a quality education
· children have good nutrition
· children are vaccinated
· access to health services
· children are safe and protected