For some people work is just a job, but according to Emily working at ChildFund is so much more than ‘just a job’ for many reasons.Emily and friend in Zambia
By Emily Burgess, Fundraising Campaigns Manager
I’ve been working at ChildFund New Zealand for nearly five years now… five fantastic years. Like all of the staff here we are working towards a common goal – to help empower children to be the best they can be and break free from poverty.
Growing up I always knew that I wanted to help people and when I arrived in New Zealand way back in 2006 after leaving the UK for a year of travelling I had no idea that I would find my dream job… and still be loving life in NZ five years on (poor Mum she had no idea)!
There is so much to say about the children along the way that have touched my heart, the fantastic successes of some of the ChildFund projects that we’ve fundraised for and of course the overwhelming generosity of our Kiwi supporters. But instead I wanted to share something else that is important to me, and that is ‘the ChildFund family’.
Sounds cheesy doesn’t it?!?!
But I have to say it’s true. We have a small office based in the city with about 20-ish staff. We’re a dynamic, passionate and caring bunch of people with genuine respect for each other. And for someone who has no family living here in NZ, everyone here really has become part of my family. This has been terribly influential and special for me.
This fantastic, hardworking, exciting and supportive environment has helped fuel my passion to make a positive difference to children. And I know that I’m not alone. This is what makes ChildFund so special and so effective in what we do.
For me, some of the best bits of being part of the ChildFund family are:
- Everyone singing Happy Birthday in the kitchen EVERY time there is a birthday!
- Everyone clapping and ringing the bell every time one of the team gets a child sponsored.
- Everyone making time for the monthly share session to share each team’s successes.
- Taking part in coffee/hot chocolate rounds when it’s cold or we’re tired.
- Listening to each other when we have problems both personal and work related.
- Sharing our passion for helping children with our supporters and outside suppliers – and then seeing them get passionate and involved too!
There is so much more I want to say about ChildFund… but for now I’ll settle for HAPPY BIRTHDAY… I’m so proud to be part of this organisation and I’m delighted to see ChildFund turning 21! ChildFund staff rock! Roll on the future, where I’m confident we’ll continue to grow and make a real lasting change for more children in need.